Episode 39 - 3 Ways Brands Have Successfully Avoided Amazon
INTERVIEW WITH BILL NICOLAI
This week on the Ecommerce Braintrust podcast, we are sharing with you a really interesting interview with Bill Nicolai, one of the most experienced professionals we got the chance to meet at the CohereOne Summit. Bill is a is a well-known marketing entrepreneur and innovator that has been successfully applying his strategies and marketing techniques at Dover Saddlery, Hammer Nutrition, Christian Brands and Olive & Cocoa.
Bill had some knowledgeable insights and stories to share about brands that managed to avoid Amazon but still thrive on the market. Tune in today for an amazing interview and join this great debate, for and against Amazon.
- Bill explains how and why Amazon becoming such a dominant sales channel can be seen as a threat by some companies.
- Staying away from Amazon doesn’t mean not taking its impact into account.
- Brands should always determine first if they absolutely require independence.
- Bill explain the importance of understanding margins and determining if a brand can acquire higher margins staying off Amazon.
- It’s essential to determine if a higher margin can outweigh a potential sales gain.
- Bill talks about some of the most important myths about Amazon.
- Bill discusses his strategies and marketing techniques at Dover Saddlery, Hammer Nutrition, Christian Brands and Olive & Cocoa and how Amazon can be irrelevant for similar brands.
- Bill offers some insights about trademarks on Amazon and how a company can capitalize on copywriting.
- Things are very different in the world of Amazon but the old truths apply.
- Kiri & Julie discuss the counterarguments of Bill’s presentation, pointing out that each brand should have a customized strategy.